Thursday, October 26, 2006

Sheffield Refuses To Play 1B, But Yanks Pick Up His $13 Million Option

NO, I will NOT play FIRST BASE! If Gary Sheffield was looking forward to becoming a free agent this off-season, he can forget about it. The Yankees picked up his $13 million option for 2007.

The most likely did it so that other teams, primarily the Red Sox couldn't bid on him during the winter.

The Yankees are stacked in the outfield with Abreu, Damon and Matsui and doesn't want to play first base at all.

"This will not work, this will not work at all," Sheffield told USA TODAY. "I don't want to play first base a year for them. I will not do that."

He still thinks it's a problem if he's traded too, most likely because he would rather get a long term deal locked in this season rather than next. Here's what he had to say on that:

"I don't know what they're [Yankees] going to do," Sheffield said. "Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just go to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem,
a big problem, I will not do this"


Gee it's a tough life to have to change positions for one season and be paid $13 million to do so. We'll tell you what, why doesn't he switch places with us, and then see how happy he really is.

Is it us or has Gary Sheffield become a grumpy old man?


Source

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home