Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hurricanes Feel They Have Done Enough Punishing For Last Weekend's Debacle

The University of Miami President Donna Shalala, went public today saying that the Hurricane players have been punished enough, for their actions during this past weekends battle royale between Miami and Florida International.

''I believe that the young men we have recruited for our football team are young men of great character, but they did a very bad thing. It's time for me to say publicly that I believe in them, that I believe that they did something awful, but that I want them to continue at the University of Miami. And it's time for me to say to the community and to those that have been sending me e-mails that this university will be firm and punish people that do bad things."

``But we will not throw any student under the bus for instant restoration of our image or our reputation. I will not hang them in a public square. I will not eliminate their participation at the university. I will not take away their scholarships. .

Apparently a new "zero tolerance" policy has been enacted for any Hurricane that gets into fights. She said that they have given 12 "harsh", one game suspensions to players and have enacted this new policy effective immediately.

The funny thing about this entire fiasco, is that on the other side of the coin, Florida International has kicked two players off their team and has suspended 16 players indefinitely.

It just goes to show you what a major college football team will do to salvage their program. These slaps on the wrist are why the Miami program could continue to spiral out of control.

Source

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home